Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer

I like all of the Alex Gibney movies I've seen (Taxi to the Dark Side being my favorite) - maybe not as much as Charles Ferguson's films (Inside Job, No End in Sight) but his movies hit me in the right spot as a die hard liberal.

I found this film pretty enlightening. I really didn't know that much about Spitzer's career so I enjoyed that aspect. The interviews with the Emperors Club people were fascinating as well. I had already seen Spitzer speak about this when he first reappeared in the public eye but I really enjoyed getting his more measured take here.

Gibney makes a pretty solid case about just how politically motivated this whole thing was. I guess I knew that but hadn't really paid that much attention to that aspect considering just how hypocritical Spitzer was - he pretty much got what he deserved. Spitzer himself agrees with that sentiment. Or at least he knows the right thing to say.

The best part of the movie though is definitely the interviews with the powerful billionaires who hate Spitzer's guts. They were hilarious. And scary.  

This film definitely made me think of Spitzer in a different light. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know. I will admit though that I voted for him yesterday. 



 Directed by Alex Gibney
2010
Netflix

No comments: