Thursday, July 11, 2013

Detropia

I've been fascinated by Detroit since my first visit in 1992 and couldn't believe the abandoned majestic train station when Rich and I stumbled upon it.

This film does a pretty good job of capturing the frustration and craziness that is Detroit. It looks incredible. And the footage shot inside the train station blew me away.

But I wanted more. It is a pretty ambitious project to try to tell so much in one doc. Sujan and I really liked the bar owner and a few others. Then there were a few people that were profiled that were not terribly interesting (in as Sujan put it "a poetry slam" kind of way) and I didn't need to see more.

I kind of wish this were either more focused on one or two people or was a 10 hour series on HBO or something. The directors' other film I've seen, Jesus Camp, benefited from being more focused on one thing. Still, I am glad I saw this movie. It is good. It is tantalizingly close to being much better.

Directed by Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady
2012
PBS

No comments: