Tuesday, April 30, 2013

To Rome With Love

This started off really well. But then it got a bit silly and it kind of lost me.

I liked:
- Woody Allen's subdued acting compared to his more manic usual style.
- The beauty of Rome
- The scenario with Penelope Cruz as a prostitute needing to pretend to be a well behaved fiance.
- Alec Baldwin's wisdom
-  Alessandro Tiberi's Woody Allen impersonation - it's funny because he's Italian!
- The absurdity of the opera singer who can only sound good when singing in the shower and what it leads to. 

I was lukewarm on :
- The Roberto Benigni story line.
- The Jesse Eisenberg - Ellen Page - Greta Gerwig storyline especially when Alec Baldwin wasn't part of it.
- The Italian actor and his wooing ways scenes didn't quite work for me.
- It was twenty minutes too long, one of the story lines could have been cut.
-  Allen is so old now that it seems wrong that he's playing Allison Pill's dad - he should be her grandfather. Oh well - at least he's not dating her.

Overall, I'm glad I saw this. It was entertaining enough. And it makes me realize that maybe I should see all of Allen's recent movies rather than just the really good ones that come out every three or four years. Lightweight but enjoyable.

Directed by Woody Allen
2012
Blu-ray

No comments: