Sunday, April 07, 2013

This Must Be the Place

I remember reading reviews of this when it came out that made me somewhat curious. But I had no intention to actually watch this ever.

When I was in Austin, Alex helped me correct that mistake. He rented it from iTunes one night knowing that Anne had no interest. He thought I might. Sure, why the hell not?

I asked him what it was about and told him that I only knew that Sean Penn played a washed up old goth pop star. Yes. True. But that's only the beginning. Halfway through, the guy becomes a Nazi hunter. Say what?

It must be said that this movie isn't that great. But ... but ... Sean Penn is incredible in it. I can't think of a movie where his role is such a lark since he played Spicoli. Or maybe I just haven't seen enough Sean Penn movies? It looks great. Harry Dean Stanton and Frances McDormand are both great. It doesn't feel like any other movie I've ever seen but yet it definitely had the feel of what a European filmmaker thinks America is.

The script on the other hand is pretty bad and the big themes of the film aren't really developed well. I'd love to see the same set up (an aging American has been with issues living in Europe who comes back home to exorcise his demons) but possibly w/o the Nazi scenario? Or maybe just with a different screenwriter?

Either way, it has been a couple of weeks and I still can't get Sean Penn's performance out of my head. So that's something. A tour de force. Really.

Directed by Paolo Sorrentino
2012
iTunes

3 comments:

lachima said...

The perfect yin to Spring Breaker's yang. I'm so glad I didn't see this alone. I remember bumping into a friend at Jack's who had just seen it and all he wanted to do was talk about it. He was so frustrated that no one there had seen it.

lachima said...

It looks so good, and Penn is so good it makes it incredibly frustrating when it gets bad.

Listmaker said...

Still can't get this movie out of my head.