Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Django Unchained

Within 10 seconds of the beginning of this preview, I had already decided that this was going to be my favorite film of the year. I was right. Even with the high expectations I had, this film matched, if not exceeded them. Let me count the ways.

- In that big fight scene, the slow motion aspect of the bullets spraying blood and the slowed down sound of incoming bullets sounding like bombs added to one of the coolest gun battles I've ever seen in a movie.

- Don Johnson as Big Daddy. Yes!

- I've missed you Tom Wopat.

- I need to see McCabe and Mrs. Miller again. I need to see Dead Man again. I loved the lawless land of craziness feel to this.

- As much as I liked Inglorious Basterds, I feel like that was Tarantino simply getting ready to make this one.

- This has got to be Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction, right?

- I can't think of one flaw in this film from beginning to end. Even Tarantino's Australian accent didn't bother me.

- Woody Allen gets a lot of credit for being a great director for actors but is there any director better than Tarantino on this front? Christoph Waltz is unreal. Samuel L. Jackson couldn't have been more deliciously duplicitous, and Leonardo Dicaprio outdid himself in his Birth of a Nation Candyland getup. Incredible.

- As usual for Tarantino's films, the music was great. In particular, the Jim Croce song was perfect.

- Where does Tanantino go next? This and Inglorious Basterds work so well together. His first two films (Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction) also worked incredibly well together in tandem. What is his Jackie Brown followup to this? Nevermind that idea though, I want a sequel to this one.

- It was nice to see Walton Goggins.

- I loved the Dentist Mobile.

- And then there is the amazing Spike Lee bitching. Which led to this incredible retort from Dick Gregory - almost as entertaining as the movie itself.

I’ve seen Django Unchained 12 times. Never in the history of Hollywood, have they ever made anything that freed the inside of me. The inside of me. I’m 80 years old, I saw cowboy movies, wasn’t no black folks in cowboy movies. I’m looking at a Western, plus a love story. To those of you all that see it, you’ll never see a love story about a black man and a black woman where it wasn’t some foul sex and foul language, huh. And Spike Lee can’t appreciate that. The little thug ain’t even seen the movie; he’s acting like he white,” said Gregory in a YouTube interview. 
Gregory also directly addressed Lee’s claims that the movie is “disrespectful” to his ancestors “[Talking about] ‘it offended my ancestors,’ but when you did She’s Got To Have It and some of those other thug movies you did…you took Malcolm X and put a Zoot suit on him…did that offend your ancestors, punk?” added Gregory.

Directed by Quentin Tarantino
2012
Times Sq. 25

2 comments:

lachima said...

finally saw it. i thought it was "eh." i wanted to like it. I was surprised with how much i liked inglorius basterds. i guess i did like it, it just didn't blow me away.

Listmaker said...

It definitely could have used Sean Penn's character from This Must Be the Place, I'll give you that.