Sunday, January 13, 2013

Life of Pi

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's kind of magical and all kinds of fun. Sujan didn't like the book all that much so I was a bit apprehensive. And parts of the story and themes might be a bit annoying if I had just been reading it. But the visual storytelling aspect of seeing it in on the big screen in 3D was so astounding that I didn't care about some of my doubts.

I've been a harsh critic of lackluster digital effects for years but in the past few years, I've become more and more of a believer. That shipwreck was awesome! That tiger looked real! Those meerkats were super cool! Irrfan Khan is always awesome, Ang Lee knows how to direct a great action scene, and a ferocious tiger on a raft in the middle of an ocean means drama.

Parts of this movie reminded me of amazing technicolor adventures from the 50's or Errol Flynn crazy pirate movies of the 30's or flying carpet movies from the 40's. Good stuff.

Directed by Ang Lee
2012
Times Sq. 25

No comments: