Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Holy Motors

I wasn't planning on seeing this but I'm a sucker for year end top ten lists especially the AV Club one. I remember seeing two of Leos Carax's heralded films in the 90's (Pola X, Lovers on the Bridge) and to be honest, neither made all that much of an impression on me at the time. But you can't argue with top ten lists!

So Matt and I met up the other night after school to see it. We both left with roughly the same impression. Most of it was really fascinating. But the last few minutes were kind of lame.

The premise is that this one weird dude travels around all day in a white stretch limo taking on various guises (a gangster, a dying old man, a sexed up green screen actor, a completely bizarre troll-like guy who terrorizes a cemetery and a photo shoot) over the course of the day.

Some of it was completely mesmerizing. I have no idea what any of it meant but it doesn't really matter I guess. It kind of reminded me of the one Cremaster I saw (the one with the demolition derby in the Chrysler Building) as well.

Did I mention that Eva Mendes and Kylie Minogue are on this as well? Such a surreal dream of a movie.

Directed by Leos Carax
2012
IFC Center

No comments: