Thursday, May 31, 2012
Wednesday, May 09, 2012
I didn't really care that so much of this film made no sense. I didn't even really care that the motivations of the characters were half baked at best. And yes, some of the eventual payoff isn't as thrilling as I would have hoped.
But ... there is so much stylish shoot-em-up fun in this film that it doesn't really matter. If the strong material of The Hunger Games had been directed in such a manner, that movie would have been so much better.
Directed by Joe Wright
Monday, May 07, 2012
This is what I remember:
- some funny costumes that weren't as over-the-top as The Fifth Element's costumes
- some youngsters being killed in a not as stylish a manner as the murders in Logan's Run
- a host not as good as Richard Dawson in The Running Man
- some school kids getting killed in a not as over-the-top way as Battle Royale
- bloodlust from the crowds that was not as campy as Flash Gordon's
I definitely respect this film and the story and where it's obviously heading. Donald Sutherland's hair was spectacular. Lenny Kravitz was Kravitzlicious. Jennifer Lawrence was great. I bet the book is much better of course. If I were 15-years-old, I'm sure I'd think this movie was the shit. But I'm not 15. So I'll just give it a solid B- or so and move along.
Directed by Gary Ross