Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Master

I saw this over two months ago and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. I know it looks incredible and it has to win Best Cinematography. I know the acting was stellar. I know that Joaquin Phoenix's face was the most interesting landscape in any film I've seen since this one.

But I just didn't feel like it was the masterpiece that people like A.O. Scott seem to think it is. It's very good. Granted, I was tired as hell while watching it but the film didn't wake me up. I definitely think this film warrants a second viewing but I doubt I'll watch it anytime soon.

I guess I just would like a movie more than every five years from Anderson. So let's see - regarding his most recent films (excluding that Adam Sandler one which by the way I remember really liking at the time), I definitely like this more than Magnolia (I still laugh every time I think of this review) but not as much as There Will be Blood.

Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
2012
Village East

No comments: