Thursday, September 13, 2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild

This fable like film had elements of many other films I've seen that I really like but it also felt entirely original. Throw in some George Washington, a dash of Ballast, and a whole helluva lot of Terrence Malick. There were even parts that reminded me a bit of Where the Wild Things Are in a good way. Maybe even a little bit of a gentle David Lynch type feel to it as well in its surreal atmosphere, in particular one of the scenes near the end.

The whole thing feels otherworldy but completely grounded in reality. Is this supposed to be New Orleans when Katrina hits? Is the Bathtub an allegory for something larger? What exactly is happening in the outside world?

The nonprofessional actors were all great. It is hard not to be blown away by the lead actress, 6-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis who plays the perfectly named character Hushpuppy.

I didn't love love this when I was watching it but I've been thinking a lot about it in the past weeks and am sure that I'll be more into it upon a second viewing. This is a definite work of art - I just don't know if I was ready for it on the first viewing.

Directed by Benh Zeitlin
2012
Sunshine Cinemas

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work with the directors parents via Hive, they run the awesome folklorist Org CityLore

chris larry