Thursday, July 26, 2012

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia

This police procedural was completely absurd for the first half. So absurd I wasn't quite sure what to make of most of it. It consists of a search for a dead body by a police team in the middle of nowhere. The confessed murderers can't remember where exactly the murder occurred. The search for the body isn't as important as the investigators just hanging out and shooting the shit about life. 

The second half consists of a lot of discussion during an autopsy and some very serious goings-on thus shifting away from the tone of the first half.

A lot of this film reminded me of some of the Romanian films I've seen in the past few years especially the first half which reminded me of 12:08 East of Bucharest.

I liked this movie quite a bit but not as much as the filmmaker's last film, Climates.

Directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan
2012
Film Forum

No comments: