Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I know a movie is good when I'm pretty confused most of the time but I'm still really into it. That was the case with this film. I love good spy movies. I love spy movies set during the Cold War. I miss those days. Bring back the Soviet Union. Today's terrorists are so boring as a plot device.

I suppose I should read some of John le Carré's books considering how much I liked the vibe of this endeavor. I hear the first movie based on this book starred Alec Guinness. I love that guy. I should see that too.

I also didn't realize until I was writing this that the guy who directed this directed Let the Right One In. I knew I liked the look of this film for a reason.

Who wants to rent Spies Like Us with me soon?

Directed by Tomas Alfredson
2011
Times Square 25

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i actually think the brittish original was a bbc mini series not a movie....keith olberman is like a crazy fan of this and did a good monologue on his show about it a few months back

tid bit larry

Matt Moline said...

I am an old man and because of that, I remember my dad watching the PBS rebroadcast of the show and a: being bored to tears and b: wondering why Obi Wan Kenobi was wearing a suit and didn't fight bad guys with a lightsaber (Alec Guiness played George Smiley).

I saw this on Friday and thought it was the best movie of the year...after Your Highness

Crispin H. Glover said...

i was thoroughly confused by this film but enjoyed it throughout as well. even the scooby doo big reveal at the end did little to clear up my headfog. not as good as your highness by a long shot.