Monday, January 02, 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

I always found this part of the trilogy to be the weakest and having now read it and seeing two film adaptations, I'm done with it. I liked this quite a bit more than the Swedish version though.

The Rooney Mara portrayal of Salander is much closer to what I pictured her as than the Noomi Rapace version from the Swedish version. Daniel Craig is definitely not what Blomkvist is supposed to be but that didn't diminish from the story too much.

Some of the scenes were definitely thrilling - especially that brief escalator scene. But it still suffers from what the book suffered from - way too much exposition before things really get going and a pretty standard and not very compelling plot. I liked the Trent Reznor score though.

I hope this does well enough to make the rest of the trilogy because I don't plan on seeing the Swedish versions.

I also want to see what Matt has to say about two more film versions.

Directed by David Fincher
2011
Silver Spring 20

4 comments:

Matt Moline said...

I'm very excited to have made the blog. Any support for the notion that Bjurman = Balgavy?

Listmaker said...

oh yeah. definitely. that's what i thought when i saw it. i think with a certain segment of the population, it might help him get dates!

Crispin H. Glover said...

i have no interest in this especially after allison commented that the rape scenes couldn't be worse in this than in the swedish version to which i loudly argued the opposite and then couldn't stop thinking about how dark and disturbing fincher would make that torture. i still think zodiac is the finest film he ever made or ever will make.

Listmaker said...

i don't think they were worse.