Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Adventures of Tintin

Jeremy convinced me that I should see this by stating that it was "the rightful fourth chapter in the raiders saga - 100 times better than the crystal skull mumbo jumbo" in my review of the insufferable War Horse. He was right, this movie was a good time.

I didn't think I was going to like the animation much but after awhile I got used to the performance capture aspect. There were times that I even felt like this could have been made without the animated aspect. But then the fun action stuff started and I'm glad that it was filmed the way it was. Part of what was so bad about the last Indiana Jones opus was that the computerized special effects looked ridiculous next to the real people. With this hyperrealistic animation, it all looked right and thus I could pay attention to the fun action and not be distracted by how bad it looks a la Crystal Skull.

I didn't know much about Tintin at all but now I do and I know that I like the kid. And I liked his dog. And I liked those bumbling policemen. And I think that I love Spielberg again even though he hadn't made a good movie in almost ten years before this one.

Bring on the sequel!

Directed by Steven Spielberg
2011
Times Square 25