Sunday, December 04, 2011

Hugo

F James Cameron. Avatar gets credit for being a good reason that 3D exists. Blah. The 3D in that movie is what made that movie almost bearable to watch. This movie though is more than enough reason for 3D to exist. Up to this point, I had grown a bit weary of the technology. Not anymore.

From the first moments where the snow flurries add such an incredible texture to the movie to the last frame, I can't even imagine this film in 2D. The 3D is so integral to the story. I read recently that Scorsese said that he was considering only making movies in 3D from here on out. I could be done with that.

The movie itself is pretty darn good. Any movie aimed at children that attempts to tell the story of the early filmmaker Georges Melies is A-OK with me. Throw in references to Safety Last and I'm sold.

The sense of wonder in the storytelling, in reveling in the film history, in the living out one's dream or the sorrow in not ... I liked all the themes. They all add up to some fun times.

Directed by Martin Scorsese
2011
Chelsea Cinemas

1 comment:

Amie Plumley said...

hmmm...i like your review. i may have to go see. did you read the book? loved the book....