Thursday, October 13, 2011

Drive


Wow. Wow. Wow. And then some more wow. This movie had me hooked from the first frame. That first scene was crazy good. Gosling was incredible. Albert Brooks was incredible. Bryan Cranston was incredible. I loved everything about this movie. Perlman. Mulligan. The car chases. The scary mask. The gloves. The scorpion jacket. The score. The pop music. The cinematography. The whole Nicolas Winding Refn-ness of it all.

I loved how it felt a bit like Mulholland Drive, the recent David Cronenberg films, and even a bit like Two Lane Blacktop. I liked how the seediness of some of the lowlifes in their track suits felt like a nod to the Pusher trilogy. I heard the film described as "brutal yet serene" and I think that is an apt description. I've read some criticism that the film didn't amount to much other than a lot of fun style. Ok. That's fine with me when the movie is as fun and stylish as this one.

The one thing I don't see in this though is that it's like a John Hughes movie. Someone please explain that one to me.

So ... now that I'm back to loving Nicolas Winding Refn after not liking Bronson that much, I'm wondering if I should give a shot to his insane looking Viking movie. Or has anyone else seen any of his other movies?

I just noticed that he's slated to direct a remake of Logan's Run!!!!

Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn

2011
Chelsea Cinemas

1 comment:

Jim said...

I gotta get me one of those scorpion jackets.