Thursday, August 11, 2011

Out of the Past

This movie confuses me. The first time I saw it, I had taken my sister and perhaps my mom to see it in Fells Point. I don't know what I was thinking taking them to see a film noir. Obviously, it wasn't their cup of tea and I had a difficult time enjoying it because I felt so guilty taking them to a movie they hated.

A few years later, I saw it again and was blown away by it. So when Bart came over to watch it, I was convinced we were going to love it. Instead, we both had a difficult time staying awake and thus were confused by the many twists and turns.

But I'm convinced that this movie is great and can't believe that two of the three times I saw it, I was disappointed. I vow that the fourth time will be the best. It's going to take the others ones off my chest.

I mean this movie has it all. Kirk Douglas. Robert Mitchum. Hot broads. Great locales. Great director. And killer lines.

Such as:
- You know, a dame with a rod is like a guy with a knitting needle.

- I sell gasoline, I make a small profit. With that I buy groceries. The grocer makes a profit. We call it earning a living. You may have heard of it somewhere.

- My feelings? About ten years ago, I hid them somewhere and haven't been able to find them.

Joe: I often wondered what happened to him. Then one day I'm breezing through here, and there's his name up on a sign.
Marny: It's a small world.
Joe: Yeah. Or a big sign.

Kathie: I don't want to die.
Jeff: Neither do I, Baby, but if I have to, I'm going to die last.

Maybe the fourth time is going to have to be soon. What are you doing this coming Tuesday, Bart?

Directed by Jacques Tourneur
1947
TCM

2 comments:

Bart said...

I agree- i'm embarrassed i had trouble staying awake- I love mitchum! Lets watch it again- but lets not watch Clockers ever, ever, again...

Amy said...

Yes, I do remember being bored by the movie, but I also think I was 12 when you took me. What did you expect? I like the Archers of Loaf reference in this post; I decided to include one in this comment in turn.