Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Beginners

Yet another movie about dying - this one about a guy in his 30's and his father who is dying of cancer. Why don't I just go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes or something? Obviously, there's a lot more to this than just that though. Alex J told me about this movie a few months ago and I was looking forward to its release. I was not disappointed. Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer were great. And so was Melanie Laurent who I first saw as the cinema owner/Nazi killer in Inglorious Basterds. In fact, the first scene she was in is one of my favorite scenes of the year.

I liked the flashback nature of the storytelling as well as the asides about what life was like during certain years. These flourishes added to what was already a great script. I wasn't a huge fan of Mill's first film, Thumbsucker, but I really liked this one. That film was adapted from a book - this one was an original screenplay partly based on his own 75-year-old father's story of coming out of the closet after the death of his wife.

This film is about all those big things - loss, regret, loneliness, love, etc. But it never feels melodramatic. It's just darn good.

Directed by Mike Mills
2011
Chelsea Cinemas

1 comment:

lachima said...

so incredibly good. at sxsw mills said he wanted to make a film that made you want to hug strangers. i think he did it in a such a real, unsappy way.