Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cedar Rapids

It really is amazing that a movie with this kind of formulaic plot can still work so well. Everything about this movie is entertaining. And while I would have liked Ed Helm's character to be little less of a rube, I guess his naivete added to the comedic situations.

What I liked:
- Isiah Whitlock Jr. (Clay Davis) doing his best impersonation of Omar.

- Sigorney Weaver's character was f-in hilarious. I want a whole movie with her in it.

- John C. Reilly really was unbelievably great. I know he won't be considered for a Best Supporting Actor nomination for this but he should win the damn thing.

- While not nearly as awkward as Arteta's earlier film Chuck and Buck, this film skirted along some quite hilariously tense moments. While that movie was depressing as hell, this one is a lot more fun.

For some reason, both SHR and I thought this was going to be a Hangover type ripoff. I'm glad it wasn't.

Directed by Miguel Arteta
2011
BAM

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hang Over ripoff? I never got that vibe. I saw the long form trailer in the movies a few months before it came out, so I was really pumped and had a clear idea of what it was going to be. I didnt realize it was the Chuck and Buck director, classic. I loved this movie...

Listmaker said...

neither one of us saw a preview. i think we just thought that because of ed helms? i don't know.