Thursday, March 31, 2011

Still Walking

This is only the third Hirokazu Kore-eda film I've seen but all three have been great. Nobody Knows was one of SHR's favorites from a few years ago and I still think about 1998's After Life occasionally and it's been years since I've seen it.

This film is about one day in the life of a family. Ryota, the youngest son is visiting his elderly parents with his new wife and his stepson. His sister is also visiting. It turns out that they visit once a year on the anniversary of the drowning of Ryota's older brother. It has been 15 years since the death and his parents still haven't gotten over it.

This movie has everything SHR would want in a movie: cute kids, great cooking scenes, family drama. Granted, this film is no The Family Stone. But then again, what is?

This movie's pace reminded me a little bit of some of the later films I've seen by Shohei Imamura, including parts of Dr. Akagi. I definitely need to see more of both Imamura's and Kore-eda's films. And maybe The Family Stone again.


Directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda
2008, U.S. Release: 2010
Blu-ray

1 comment:

lachima said...

loved this. love hirokazu. need to see all his stuff.