Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Illusionist

I've only seen one Jacques Tati film and it was years ago. I remember not knowing what to make of it and it seemed so very French. This film, based on a Tati screenplay, makes me want to at least make sure to give Mon Oncle a chance. In fact, there's even a clip from that film used to great comedic effect in this one.

I liked a lot of this movie. It is quiet, understated, and charming. It looks fantastic. I loved the Tati character and also the fey rock band that prances around in many scenes. But I didn't like it as much as The Triplets of Belleville. But that isn't necessarily the fairest comparison to make since that film is one of the best animated films in recent memory.

Perhaps, I wanted a bit more craziness from this or perhaps I was just a bit tired. And as SHR pointed out - the girl was kind of annoying. Plus it was hard to tell exactly what was going on with her and how old she was.

In theme, it kind of reminded me of the Chaplin film I had just seen the day before - a young girl being taken under the wing of a fading old entertainer.

Directed by Sylvain Chomet
2010
Sunshine Cinemas

2 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

we tried watching a tati film the other day, i actually think it was mon oncle, and i couldn't figure it out. it wasn't funny to me at all and i couldn't figure out what was supposed to be funny about it. it seemed positively humor free. more like claire's knee than a comedy. odd. i couldn't brin myself to finish it.

decaf said...

i'm really excited to see this. a tati screenplay + director of triplets of belleville = my hopes are so high they're bound to be dashed. le sigh...