Tuesday, October 12, 2010

High and Low

Could there be anything better than a Kurosawa - Mifune film noir? Possibly not. I can't believe I had never seen this before. I loved it and wanted it to continue for another two hours. This was one of the last movies I watched over the summer while I was still Mr. Mom. I miss those days.

But I digress.

The film is about a wealthy industrialist played by Mifune who faces a moral dilemma. A kidnapper calls and informs him that his son has been kidnapped. A ransom is demanded. A ransom that will bankrupt him. But he's willing to pay it, of course. But then he finds out that his son is safe and sound at home - the kidnappers had mistakenly stolen his chauffeur's son.

So what does he do?

I don't want to give anymore away. But I will say that the entire film is perfect. And the train scene easily has become one of my favorite movie sequences ever. Any fan of Kurosawa, Mifune, or noir must see this film.

Directed by Akira Kurosawa
1962
TCM

2 comments:

lachima said...

Love this one. I came late to it as well. Saw it last year for the first time.

Here's weirdness - remake coming out 2012, Scorsese exec producing, Mike Nichols directing and screenplay by Chris Rock.

Listmaker said...

what? that can't be any good, right? a chris rock screenplay? his rohmer film wasn't so hot. what is this one going to be called - i think i hate my chauffeur's son's kidnapper?