Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hannah Takes the Stairs

Even though I had sworn off any future mumblecore movies, I got tricked into watching this. Marc and I had recently fallen in love with Greta Gerwig after watching Greenberg. Then this showed up on Sundance on Demand and I felt like I had no choice but to watch it.

Sure, Greta is scrumptious and impossible to take one's eyes off of but that does not make a good movie. I mean, this movie was fine and all. But I just don't care enough about these characters to watch these movies. I do like Mark Duplass quite a bit but I can't stand looking at Andrew Bujalski.

If this is the Breathless of mumblecore, I guess I'll have to do without the rest of the French New Wave. I don't even know what that means.

Directed by Joe Swanberg
2007
Sundance on Demand

3 comments:

Shivery McPickles said...

This is one of only a few movies in the last few years that has reduced me to the following review: FUCK that movie. FUCK it.

Crispin H. Glover said...

can you explain mumblecore to me. i have never seen one and don't quite get it.

Listmaker said...

mumblecore is exactly what you'd think it would be. every sentence trails off into um ....

found this in a new yorker piece.
"Mumblecore movies are about college-educated men and women who aren’t driven by ideas or by passions or even by a desire to make their way in the world. Neither rebels nor bohemians, they remain stuck in a limbo of semi-genteel, moderately hip poverty, though some of the films end with a lurch into the working world. The actors (almost always nonprofessionals) rarely say what they mean; a lot of the time, they don’t know what they mean. The movies tell stories but they’re also a kind of lyrical documentary of American stasis and inarticulateness."

the whole article - http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2009/03/16/090316crci_cinema_denby