Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Point Break

How did I make it to 2010 without seeing this movie before? Crazy right? Why didn't I see this back in '91? A quick look at some of the movies released that year show that I saw some good films but also a whole hell of a lot of crap like Robin Hood, The Addams Family, and Naked Gun 2 and 1/2. Yet I couldn't find time to see this gem? I wish I could go back in time and slap my 18-year-old self upside the head.

Then again, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this quite as much if I had seen it when it was originally out. Part of the fun was how over-the-top early 90's silly this movie is. It did not disappoint on that front.

Yes, it was a bit long in the first half but when it kicked in, it kicked the door in! 100% adrenaline!

Some things I loved --

1. Patrick Swayze's hair.

2. John. C. McGinley

3. The shootout where Anthony Kiedis's foot bites it. It was his foot, right?

4. The character name Johnny Utah is one of the best names in cinema history.

5. The scene where Keanu shoots his gun into the air in exasperation. Brilliant.

6. They played a Love song which then unfortunately turned into a Jesus Jones cover.

7. The opening credits with the guns and the surfing. As Sean would say - so extreme!

8. The ending is perfect. I wanted to stand up and cheer but I had had a little too much to drink.

9 SHR's brisket that we ate while watching. So delicious.

Speaking of Sean, I love that the line from this movie "Utah get me two" lent itself to his production company.

I need to see this movie again though because there was so much chatter involved that I think I missed at least 1/3 of the lines. No matter - Double Trouble will love this movie one day.

I need to see Hot Fuzz again.

I still can't get over that the director of this movie went on to win Best Director this year. Crazy.

Nothing against Con Air and Independence Day and other big Hollywood flicks that came after this but they just don't make them like this movie anymore. No irony or anything - just pure over-the-top action, slo-mo, and adrenaline. No navel gazing, no indie stars like Steve Buscemi or nebbish Jews like Judd Hirsch. Just pure awesomeness.

Thank you Sean for making this happen!

My favorite exchange:
Bodhi: [getting ready for their next robbery] 90 seconds Johnny. That's all I ask for, just 90 seconds of your life Johnny, that's it. This is our tatic, is we strike fear. Once you get them peeing down ther leg, they submit. Also about fear, fear causes hesitation, and hesitation, causes your worst fears to come true.
[hands Johnny a shot gun]
Johnny Utah: I can't do this.
Bodhi: Yes you can, who knows, you might like it.
Johnny Utah: Bodhi, this is your fucking wake-up call man. I am an F, B, I, Agent!
Bodhi: Yeah, I know man. Ain't it wild? That's what makes it so interesting. You can do what you want, and make up your own rules. Why be a servant to the law, when you can be it's master?
Grommet: Fuckin' a!
Nathanial: I love this job.

And maybe my favorite line:
Listen you snot-nose little shit, I was takin' shrapnel in Khe Sanh when you were crappin' in your hands and rubbin' it on your face.

Actually this one is pretty good too:
22 years. Man, L.A. has changed a lot during that time. The air got dirty and the sex got clean.

Or this?
NO! No no no no no no NO! Let me tell you what you've produced... Over the last two weeks, you two have produced exactly squat! SQUAT! During which time the ex-presidents have robbed two more banks. Now for Christ's sake, does either one of you have anything even remotely interesting to tell me?
[brief pause]
Johnny Utah: I caught my first tube today... Sir.

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow
1991
DVD

2 comments:

Fred Swayze said...

Incredible! I'm so glad it left such an extreme impression! Utah, get me me 2!

Crispin H. Glover said...

you and my dad can watch this together any time. this is one movie where he never fast forwards.