Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Up in the Air

Pretty good, not great. Clooney is Clooney but with 12.5 minutes of self doubt thrown in. The big surprise can be seen from miles away. I liked the interviews with real people who had been recently laid off. I loved the cameos by JK Simmons, Zach Galifianakis, and Sam Elliott. Danny McBride stole every scene he was in.

I liked the interplay between Clooney and his young co-worker. I liked the speech Clooney gives to people he's firing - the whole people starting empires bullshit. Vera Farmiga was good. Everything was good enough. Just like all of Jason Reitman's films. Good enough. But nothing special in the grand scheme of things.

The best thing that can be said about Avatar is that it seemed like until that movie came out, this might have been a top contender for Best Picture. In a strange way, I can much more live with a movie I didn't like much at all (Avatar) winning the top prize over an overrated but still fairly good movie winning it. What is my problem?

Directed by Jason Reitman
2009
BAM

5 comments:

youthlarge said...

I LOVE THE CLOONEY! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO BE SHOWN ON CABLE SINCE YOU WON'T EVER LET ME GET ANYTHING FROM NETFLIX.

Listmaker said...

why is this all in caps?

i guess i don't let you get anything on netflix except for every damn disc of thirtysomething.

youthlarge said...

why is your response in all lowercases? i meant to include a footnote about thirtysomething in my original post.

lachimafilms.com said...

yeah, all enjoyable, but nothing spectacular.

oy, but that line his sister has about "being home" or some bullshit. unforgivable over the top overt insanity. awful.

Listmaker said...

good call. i completely forgot about this awful line.