Thursday, December 03, 2009

Climates

Despite the glowing reviews for this movie, I resisted seeing it for 3 years. I remember being disappointed with 2002's Distant, by the same filmmaker, but I think I might have been too sleepy on the day I saw that movie.

I'm not sure if I ever would have gotten around to seeing this. In fact, it had been on my Netflix Queue for two years or so. But when I saw the incredible short film by the Coen Brothers that features Climates, I had to see it.

In the short film, Josh Brolin's character (straight out of No Country for Old Men) wanders into an arthouse and has to decide between Rules of the Game and Climates. He asks what Climates is about and is told, "It's about lovers and estrangement, former lovers, flawed people, and the difficulty of love and so forth." After viewing the movie, Brolin's character is impressed and says, "There's a helluva lot of truth in it in my opinion."

I couldn't agree more.

Climates is a fantastic film. A film to savor and reflect on. A film to see more than once. In retrospect, this film would have ranked in my top ten of 2006, if not top 5.

The short film. It's only 3 minutes. Watch it!



Directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan
2006
DVD

2 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

I love love love that short film. I recently watched it when the AV Club posted it and loved it again today. "Is there any livestock in it?" is an unexpected treat of a question.

Listmaker said...

yeah, that's why i watched it as well. had never even heard of the short film before reading about it in the onion.