Monday, December 21, 2009

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

By far the most bizarre movie I've seen all year. What the hell was going on? Was this a parody? A straight up comedy? Was any of it supposed to be taken seriously? I guess it doesn't matter what Herzog was up to -the movie is fascinating.

Nicholas Cage is batshit crazy in this. I love it. His performance reminded me of his crazy heyday of Vampire's Kiss, Raising Arizona, and Wild At Heart. You can't take your eyes off of him. He's absolutely mesmerizing. Has Herzog finally found his first muse since Klaus Kinski?

I don't remember much about the original. I remember watching it with Richard J in his house while sipping sweet tea and snacking on Peanut Butter Crunch. I remember bad stuff happening to nuns, full frontal from Harvey Keitel, and that disturbing jerking off scene. Also, wasn't there something with gambling and losing on the Mets? Herzog jettisoned most of that stuff but kept the main idea that the main character is a bad bad lieutenant.

I want to see this again or at least a Cage highlight reel. I want to see old ladies getting beaten up again. I want to see Cage shaving with his electric razor again. I want more of Cage rapping. I want more of Cage and alligators. I want more of Cage and dancing souls.

Cage and Herzog - this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Directed by Werner Herzog
2009
BAM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

F this movie. And since you don't remember the best thing about the OG, was the amazing fake NL championship series that Keitel is book making for between the Dodgers and Mets. And ta boot its Mike & the Mad Dog who greek chorus the whole baseball side plot on WFAN during in car scenes, basically a device ripped off 15 years later in the Grand Theft Auto games...

hater larry

Listmaker said...

you're going to give me grief over a movie you haven't even seen?

oh yeah - the playoff series sounds familiar. i haven't seen that movie in 16 years, give me a break. i didn't even know who mike and the mad dog were at that time.