Thursday, November 19, 2009

An Education

Nick Hornby is done. I haven't read one of his books in years but I've read some of his short pieces and none of them have done anything for me. Plus, he just sort of seems to be a celebrity these days who occasionally feels like writing as opposed to a real writer. He wrote the screenplay for this movie and I say blah.

The acting is good though. I guess. Or maybe it is just that in general, I can't get enough Alfred Molina. It looks good too. Or maybe I just love the setting of 1961 London. The first 2/3 of the film held my attention if nothing else but the last 1/3 is so stupid and so poorly written that it ruins the whole thing.

It was nice to see Olivia Williams again though - again in the role of a teacher.

I tired to convince Mitch not to see it but he saw it anyway. His take?
I hated it. Peter Sarsgaard creeped me out the whole time and the main actress reminded me of a British Katie Holmes. Emma Thompson was so over the top it seemed like she was in an "SNL" sketch. Overall, it was like a pedophilia-infused "Pretty Woman" with a British accent and a little bit of "Dead Poets Society" thrown in for good measure.
Directed by Lone Scherfig
2009
BAM

2 comments:

planbreaker said...

oh dear. Carrie and I were going to go see this movie.

youthlarge said...

skarsgaard is getting a little too good at playing creepy.