Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tyson

I've been fascinated by Mike Tyson since I first heard of him as a kid. I didn't get to see as many fights of his that I would have liked because of the whole super expensive pay per view thing.

The first time I think I saw one of his fights was a tape delay of the Buster Douglas fight at Jamie's house. I remember trying to see one of his first fights after coming back from prison at a friend's house who was stealing pay per view somehow. Of course, the picture got scrambled right as it got started.

I was lucky enough to see the Holyfield ear biting fight live. I also saw the Lennox Lewis fight in 2002 while peering through bar patrons while standing on the sidewalk one warm night in Pittsburgh. I think I even saw his last fight live but I'm not entirely sure about that. However, I do remember his amazing postfight interview where he said he only fought for the money and just didn't have his heart in it anymore.

Anyway, I guess my point is -- I'm fascinated by Tyson. So I was already sold by this movie the minute I heard about it. And it doesn't disappoint. Tyson is endlessly interesting to me. I could have watched 30 hours of interview footage of him. The 90 minutes of this film go by quickly. Too quickly. The movie should have been 30 minutes or so longer.

All the greatest hits are here from the early domination to the Robin Givens stuff to the prison sentence to the Holyfield stuff. Amazing stuff. And his insight on his life is fantastic to watch. Plus, you'll never hear the word "promiscuous" again without thinking of Mike Tyson repeatedly trying to pronounce it in his own special Mike Tyson way.

Directed by James Toback
2009
Blu-ray

1 comment:

Crispin H. Glover said...

it's a shame you never played video games much and therefore missed out on the magic that was mike tyson's punchout!