Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Strangers

This movie flew completely under my radar until I read Jeremy's recent glowing review. I'm glad that he brought my attention to it because I liked it quite a bit. It reminded me of being 18 and loving horror movies. It reminded me of my late friend Terry Crummitt who would have loved this movie and made everyone recite lines from it. In fact, the whole bad guys emerging from the shadows thing was quite reminiscent of one of Terry's all time favorite scenes in movie history from When a Stranger Calls Back 2.

I started watching this at 4 am while feeding Double Trouble. I got a bit freaked out. The movie is incredibly claustrophobic from the very first moment and there's absolutely no relief. When the first knock on the door occurs, I was already ready to hide under my bed. Home invasion scares the hell out of me and always has. I was glad when the boys finished eating so I could turn the movie off and finish it during daylight hours.

But daylight brought no relief. It was still scary! The masks, the hand from the backseat, the no escaping, the woods, the disappearing hooded girl, the hidden cell phone, the moving fire alarm. If I had seen this movie when I was 10, I would never have fallen asleep again.

Granted, by the end, the whole thing seemed a bit ridiculous. What was the point? But does a movie like this really need a point? I love how this is apparently based on a true story but I'd like to know more about that because I can't imagine it's anything like the movie.

The direction of the film is flawless. What could have been a B movie slasher flick is so much more. The tension is downright unbearable at times.

Directed by Bryan Bertino
2008
HBO

1 comment:

Crispin H. Glover said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this. Check out this evisceration: http://www.allmovie.com/work/the-strangers-352630/review
I of course disagree and found the countless boo scares fantastic and the pointlessness wonderful as well. well, depressing really but fitting with the whole tension and dread of the whole film. 4am is the perfect time to watch this film.