Wednesday, September 02, 2009

District 9

The first hour of this lived up to the hype. It was an original thought provoking sci-fi extravaganza. The second half turned into an intergalactic buddy pic. That's cool but not as earth shattering as I would have hoped.

I loved the doofus in charge. The special effects looked pretty darn good. I liked the whole sociopolitical stuff. The ghetto scenes at the beginning were riveting.

At times, I felt like I was watching a completely original movie.

That is except for the fact that the prawns sounded like Greedo. Or that the whole thing with the humans experimenting on the aliens was like a reverse V. Or that the gov't was so mean to the nice extraterrestrials a la E.T. Or the ending reminded me of the beginning of Iron Man. Or that the metamorphosis was like The Fly. Or that the prawns looked like something out of The Last Starfighter or the bar scene in Star Wars.

Hell, this movie is like the Girl Talk of sci-fi flicks. I love it!

Jeremy thinks that this is a modern masterpiece.

Directed by Neil Blomkamp
2009
Silver Spring 20

3 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

Fuck yes I loved it. Great insight with the whole Girl Talk thing. That really is a brilliant take on it and makes me like it even more. Your encyclopaedic knowledge of movies makes you experience them differently than i do (your jesse james review highlights this fact) but maybe this is what attracted me to the film so much. maybe subconsciously i liked that at times it was very original while also nodding to great sci fi pics of the past. similar to star wars in a way except star wars looked outside the sci fi realm for inspiration.

Listmaker said...

your review of jesse james almost makes me want to give it another chance.

msdee said...

I loved this movie. The metamorphosis made me think of Jeff Goldblum losing body parts too. I loved everything about this movie except the foul language but this one is definitely on my list of favorite sci fi movies ever!!!!
I'll actually see it again and that says a lot because I rarely go to the movies more than once to see the same movie. huh? I confused myself there ha.
Question- I don't remember seeing the lead actor in anything else. What else has he done because he impressed me.
I mean going form a complete jerk to a hero is pretty cool.
Hubby smells sequel. The whole "three year thing"