Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Standard Operating Procedure

I've seen all of Morris' documentaries and I'm sad to say that this might be my least favorite. Not that it is bad, it isn't. But I've seen this story told before. Rory Kennedy's HBO doc Ghosts of Abu Ghraib came first and Alex Gibney's Taxi to the Dark Side is better.

Granted, the Lynndie England segments are fascinating. Also, I hadn't ever seen video footage of the events - another plus. And Danny Elfman's score is very good.

But coming on the heels of Fog of War, this seems like a real letdown. I was kind of bored during parts of it. And the re-enactments often seemed amateurish rather than illuminating.

This movie will be important for historical purposes but for my viewing purposes in the midst of Double Trouble summer '09, it was not enough for me.

Directed by Errol Morris
2008
Blu-Ray

2 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

have you seen the full First Person series? It may be one of my favorite things he's ever done. The Man in the Gray Suit was an especially incredible episode.

Listmaker said...

i have not seen that show other than an episode or two.

it was on in my pre dvr days.