Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

I remember seeing the first Star Trek movie in the theaters and being bored out of my mind. I remember seeing this one with my dad in the theaters and liking it a lot more than the first one but I didn't exactly love it. I hadn't watched any of the original series at this point so I was at a bit of a loss over why people were so into it. Although I did like the crazy ear parasites.

I was pretty excited to see this pop up on cable after having enjoyed the recent Star Trek movie.

A few thoughts:

- Shatner's impassioned plea of "Khan!!!!!" is pure comedy gold.

- Ricardo Montalban's hair and costume are amazing. He and his whole crew are so incredibly Siegfried and Roy. Brilliant.

- Kirstie Alley used to be hot!

- Many members of the cast looked like Willie Aames wannabes.

- At times, the movie almost played like a parody of the original series. The acting was so hammy as was the scenes with the crew falling all over each other during battle scenes.

- I liked how bright the series was. The early movies are all so dark. Maybe it was an early 80's thing but the burgundy unis just don't do it for me.

- Was the new one's plot basically just a rewrite of this movie's? No matter - the new one is better. I liked how the new one referred back to the talk of Kirk cheating on some of his captain tests and the lines about not believing in a no-win scenario.

Directed by Nicholas Meyer
1982
HBO

1 comment:

Jim said...

All I have to say is, "Khan!!!!!"