Friday, July 31, 2009

Jaws

When I was a little kid, I really wanted to see this movie but my parents wouldn't let me. They knew it would freak me out too much. I think I finally saw it when I was 12 or so and I wasn't as scared as I thought I'd be. Perhaps I'd built it up too much in my head as being the scariest movie ever made. In fact, I think I might have even been slightly disappointed that I wasn't more scared.

Upon reviewing it in 2009, I'm not sure what the 1985 Listmaker was thinking. This is a great movie. Everything about it is a good time. The great score (even though it reminded me a bit too much of Raiders of the Lost Ark at times), Robert Shaw as the old codger, Richard Dreyfuss, Roy Scheider, drunk night swimming. Even the special effects weren't as bad as I remembered. Spielberg was smart not to show too much of the shark until very late in the film.

It is hard to believe that this was only the second film Spielberg directed if you don't count Duel.

Directed by Steven Spielberg
1975
HBO

3 comments:

msdee said...

one of my faves!

Crispin H. Glover said...

This one still holds up and is one of the coattails Mr. Spielberg continues to ride. Because of this movie, and several others, he's been given a free pass for life.

decaf said...

i still won't swim in water that isn't perfectly clear because of this. scarred, i say. but totally worth it.