Thursday, July 16, 2009

Edward Scissorhands

I hadn't seen this movie since the one time I saw it in the theaters (I think with Terry Crummitt) and my memories of it were a bit sketchy.

But the minute the movie started, it all came flooding back. I can't believe that this movie was a box office success back in the day. It is so darn odd. I'm glad I watched it again. It reminded me of being in high school.

Some thoughts:

1. I forgot how much I used to like Danny Elfman's scores.

2. Winona Ryder really can't act. Wow.

3. I had completely forgotten that Alan Arkin and Dianne Wiest were in this.

4. I wanted more Vincent Price. Brilliant.

5. The set design is unbelievably great. All the suburban stuff, Edward's home, everything.

6. I'm pretty sure that Anthony Michael Hall should have won an Oscar for his role.

Directed by Tim Burton
1990
HBO

2 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

i watched this a few years ago and remember liking it for the most part but being a bit disappointed, especially by the hacky ending and terrible makeup on winona. i recently re-listened to my cd of danny elfman score excerpts and fell in love with him all over again. his music for midnight run is so different and so good.

Listmaker said...

i didn't know what to expect so i enjoyed it quite a bit.

i liked the ending.

i didn't know he did the soundtrack to midnight run. awesome.

edward scissorhands made me sad that burton only does remakes of other things these days.