Monday, July 06, 2009

Chungking Express

I hadn't seen this movie in years but I wanted to make sure that SHR finally saw it. I loved this movie back in the mid 90's. It seemed so artsy and exotic to me back then. Like Breathless meets Blade Runner or something. I'm not sure how that even makes sense but I guess the California Dreamin' chick was so cute in an Asian Jean Seberg way to me and the fast paced neon lit world of Hong Kong reminded me of Blade Runner. I don't know. All I know was that I had barely seen any modern Asian cinema at the point that I saw this movie and it blew me away.

I was surprised by how much I remembered of parts of this and how much of it I had forgotten. Obviously, I had not forgotten the California Dreamin' sequences. She was just as cute as I remembered. I remembered the pineapple a day parts. But I had forgotten a lot of the first cop's story. No matter - it just added to my enjoyment upon reviewing.

I don't think SHR liked it as much as I did back in the day. But that is an impossible order. The movie hit me in the right way when I was in my early 20's. I greatly enjoyed it in 2009 for many reasons, chief of which I'm sure were for nostalgia. In general though, the movie more than holds up.

Directed by Wong Kar-Wai
1994
Blu-Ray

2 comments:

Jason Curtis said...

this was one of my favorite movies of the 90's too.. i almost rented this again last week for some good nostalgia.... i got "taste of cherry" instead..which is visually fascinating.. but ultimately a little slow.....

Listmaker said...

oh man, i loved taste of cherry when i saw it 11 years ago. it doesn't hold up?