Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Momma's Man

This film about a thirtysomething man with a wife and a kid in L.A. who decides to move back in with his parents in NYC has a lot going for it. For starters, I don't think I've ever seen a movie quite like it. The Manhattan loft/work space setting (where the filmmaker Azazel Jacbos grew up) was a great labyrinth like setting and needs to be seen to be fully appreciated. I really liked the themes it dealt with as well. Hell, I thought I'd be able to identify with some of it. But I didn't. In fact, I just wanted to beat some sense into the main character. Which is obviously what we are supposed to want to do.

The first problem I have with this movie is the casting. The main character is so unappealing that it is hard to believe that he was able to attain a beautiful wife and a good career on the West Coast. His old friends who he misses are big losers as well. It's not like we get to see him partying with all his single fun friends and missing the old days. Instead, we see his ex-con friend working out to the Indigo Girls. Funny, yes. Believable, no. Why would he remotely be tempted to come back to this life style? I wanted a realistic look at what would drive a man to leave his family in search of his lost youth instead of shooting fish in an existential barrel. It was all too easy and obvious.

Director Azazel Jacobs cast his parents as the parents of the main character. His father, Ken, is a well known experimental filmmaker and was a good actor. His mother on the other hand really made me feel icky - she was not good at all. On another note, I wonder if this movie would have gotten so many accolades without the family connections?

There were definitely very good moments in this movie like the falling down the stairs scene but after reading so many great things, I wanted more than I got.

Directed by Azazel Jacobs
2008
DVD

1 comment:

chris larry said...

sounds beyond lame