This is what Clooney decided to follow Good Night and Good Luck with? Why? So he could dress up in nice old hats? Who was the audience for this movie? Did they really think this was going to be a big comedy hit?
This movie is terrible. Absolutely terrible. I can't believe I even watched the whole thing. But SHR loves her some Clooney and we're spending an inordinate amount of time at home these days so why the hell not watch the whole thing?
How bad was this movie? Let me count some of the ways.
1. Renee Zellweger is hideous. Why does this woman keep getting movie roles? Who is a big Renee Zellweger fan? Ugh. She was playing a lightweight version of the Jennifer Jason Leigh character from The Hudsucker Proxy who herself was playing a version of great characters from screwball comedies like His Girl Friday. Needless to say, Zellweger couldn't remotely pull it off. There were absolutely no sparks between her and Clooney.
2. John Krasinski should keep his day job.
3. The entire look of the film is completely cribbed from O Brother, Where Art Thou? This reminded me of the few minutes of The Good German that I actually sat through - an incomprehensible period piece made solely for the purpose of letting the director pretend that it is still 1945.
4. Clooney knew this was bad and thought he could save it by overdoing the famous Clooney headcock of charm. Didn't work.
5. What is an interesting subject (how professional football gained popularity) was made boring and silly - a bad combination. Plus, the script didn't make too much sense.
This is a bad, bad movie.
Directed by George Clooney
Super Hero Sammy
2 days ago