Thursday, April 02, 2009

Gomorrah

This was the last movie I saw in the theaters before the arrival of Double Trouble. I'm glad to say that I chose wisely.

I really am looking forward to seeing this film a second time. I've got to admit that I was a little bit confused during first viewing. However, that is completely my fault - I didn't realize that the movie was going to jump back and forth between 5 different stories. By the end, everything had crystallized a bit for me.

The film does a good job of showing many different facets of the reach that organized crime has in Naples - from the bosses to the regular citizens to businessmen to wannabe gangsters.

There are some truly memorable moments in this film. Every moment is worthwhile. Every line of dialogue works. And some of the characters are instant film classics - like the ones in the poster.

I didn't know much about the Naples mafia. They're bad ass - just like the city. SHR and I spent a couple of nights there in 2003 and it is definitely a city that keeps it real.

Directed by Matteo Garrone
2008, Year of U.S. Release: 2009
IFC Center

2 comments:

Jason Curtis said...

So far my favorite movie of 2009!
This movie is equal parts bad ass and euro disco cheese whiz... amazing.

decaf said...

that sounds so good! i've never heard of it, of course, because i live in baltimore.