Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Frozen River

I wanted to like this more than I did. Visually, this film was stunning. And the plot of a down and out single mom who decides to help a struggling Native American woman make some cash by smuggling illegal immigrants into the U.S. from Canada by driving over a frozen river is fascinating.

But there was just something about this movie that didn't quite gel for me. Melissa Leo was great though so I'm not quite sure what it was. Maybe it strained too hard to make bigger points about our society while trying to seem like it wasn't? I'm not sure. But I was a bit bored by this at times.

As a side note, the last time I saw Leo in anything was the final episode of Homicide. And I've got to say - the first time I saw her on screen in this film was almost as jarring as the first time I got a clear view of Mickey Rourke's face in The Wrestler. It must have been a tough 10 years for Leo.

Directed by Courtney Hunt
2008
Blu-ray

2 comments:

mas said...

"21 Grams?" I remember she was good in that mostly disappointing movie. Read recently that she's also in the new David Simon pilot for HBO about New Orleans.

Listmaker said...

oh right, 21 grams. forgot she was in that.