Sunday, February 08, 2009

The French Connection

Marc and I watched this (if my memory serves correctly on laserdisc) in our first year of living together in New York. I remembered being a little disappointed in it at the time. For some reason, I thought it was going to be more of a faster paced thriller than it was. What the hell was I thinking? Because upon re-watching it, I couldn't have been more wrong. This movie kicks ass.

I loved the gritty New York streets. It makes me hopeful that the current economic climate will lead us back to streets that looked like they did in this movie. And, holy moly, that car chase scene was fabulous. It completely puts current action films like the Bourne films to shame. What a novel idea - an action movie where you can actually tell what's going on. The subway chase scene is a perfect comparison to the Bourne movies since one of those films (the second one?) has a long subway chase scene as well. All hail the 70's. All hail Gene Hackman.

Directed by William Friedkin
1971
Cinemax

1 comment:

Gamera said...

Doyle's a good cop!