Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Deer Hunter

I originally saw this in the early 90's at Richard Judy's house. Undoubtedly, we had just finished watching some Baseball Tonight and were settling onto Mrs. Judy's couch with a box of Peanut Butter Crunch and some sweet iced tea. Glory days!

Back then, I was disappointed in this film. I had had heard it was a war classic! What was up with all the long shots at a wedding and Meryl Streep being all pouty and shit? Give me some Russian Roulette, bitches!

Upon re-watching this film, I enjoyed it a bit more. Still, give me Apocolpyse Now any day.

A few thoughts --

1. For some reason, I had forgotten De Niro was in this. How could I have done that?
2. Christopher Walken sure has feminine features, don't he?
3. The first Russian Roulette scene is riveting. The later one near the end is a bit silly but necessary for dramatical purposes.
4. What was I thinking back in the early 90's? Those Pittsburgh scenes are faboo.

Directed by Michael Cimino
1978
Cinemax

1 comment:

Gamera said...

Back in the early 90s you were wondering why Winona Ryder wasn't in more films and thinking how much better The Deer Hunter would have been with her unique acting abilities added to the mix.