Thursday, January 15, 2009

The World According to Garp

Nostalgia time. Another one of those movies that I hadn't seen in years and years but yet remembered almost every moment of. I must have seen this movie at least 6 or 7 times on video during the 80's. I loved it so much that I read the book in 5th or 6th grade and still can't believe that my dad let me read it. For comparison's sake, he wouldn't let me read Mike Hammer books.

I still remember all the descriptions of sex and not having any sort of reference point for it. In high school, I lent the book to some hot girl that pretended to flirt with me. I never got it back. If I could remember her name, maybe I'd track her down on Facebook and demand my book back.

This movie reminds me of hanging out with my best friend of my early elementary school years and stealing his sister's copy of Wifey and reading it. It reminds me of sleepovers at his house talking about sex and watching James Bond movies.

This movie was made way before Robin Williams was the joke that he was to become. I thought he was great in this movie. I loved watching it with SHR (it was her first time seeing it) and reminiscing. A good adaptation and still the best of any of Irving's books on screen - not that I've seen them all.

Directed by George Roy Hill
1982
Showtime

2 comments:

msdee said...

I also enjoy this movie. I had completely forgotten about thos movie too. Why is that?

Chris Larry said...

mary and watched this recently again...good times...