Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Man Push Cart

Director Ramin Bahrani has his heart in the right place. However, his second feature Chop Shop was a bit better than this one though. Unfortunately, neither are as good as I wanted them to be.

This one is about a former Pakistani rock star living in New York City making a living selling food from a push cart. He gets help from a somewhat condescending fellow Pakistani immigrant and becomes friends with a pretty Spanish immigrant working at a newsstand. This is a world that I'd love to see their stories told in movies more. Enough Kevin James already.

I liked the first 30 minutes but then got a bit bored. There was a lot of this film that I liked as an idea but didn't think Bahrani pulled it off as a narrative. As SHR said, "I'd rather see a documentary about a push cart guy than this movie." Maybe this movie just needed a fat guy falling down though.

Directed by Ramin Bahrani
2006
DVD

1 comment:

Chris Larry said...

this movie blows