Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Let the Right One In

You can keep your Twilight and its ilk. I'll take Let the Right One In. Granted, I really don't know anything about Twilight but I am completely apathetic about it. This Swedish film is pretty damn creepy.

There's just something about Sweden in the winter that's scary. Mix in preteen vampires, bloodletting, a killer pool scene, a main character who looks like a kid in my class this year, and you end up with one of my favorite films this year.

I love how it weaves the sad sack story of a boy getting mercilessly bullied in school with the eternal outsider story that is a vampire's life. This is a good movie - a movie that will be referenced in horror circles for years to come.

Imagine Show Me Love meets Nosferatu and you kind of end up with this movie.

Directed by Thomas Alfredson
2008
BAM

1 comment:

Crispin H. Glover said...

A year later I finally got to it but fuck yes, this was awesome.