Sunday, January 11, 2009

Annie Hall

I can't believe that SHR had never seen this until we watched it recently. After watching it with her, I couldn't believe that she didn't love it. Although she did say that maybe it was because she just didn't like the L.A. parts. To be honest, the first time I saw this, I also felt disappointed by the L.A. scenes. But L.A. is supposed to look dumb. That's kind of the point.

I hadn't seen this movie in maybe ten years but I remembered every line. The movie seems very dated yet utterly timeless. The dated aspect makes it an even more enjoyable view. I'm not sure if this is even my favorite Woody Allen film of this era, Manhattan probably is, but this film definitely meant quite a bit to me in my formative years. Hell, I even used the whole "Let's kiss right now so we don't have to worry about it at the end of the date" line to good effect.

Some of my favorite parts:

- Woody blowing cocaine all over the place with his sneeze.

- Woody as a kid and the weirdos in his classroom.

- Woody afraid of the universe expanding.

- Making fun of Bob Dylan while on a date with Shelley Duvall.

- La dee da, la dee da, la la

- The subtitles while Woody and Keaton converse upon their first meeting.

- Christopher Walken's creepiness

- The opening monologue

- Pulling Marshall McLuhan out of the crowd to tell off an obnoxious know-it-all.

- Woody's parents arguing whether or not it is okay if the black housekeeper steals from them.

- Joey Nickels

- The house under the Thunderbolt

- Woody's frozen smile while listening to the horrible stand up.

- Paul Simon's sleaziness.

Hell, these are just the first few things that come to mind. I love the whole damn thing.

This movie reminded me that I still haven't seen The Sorrow and the Pity. I have to rectify that soon.

Directed by Woody Allen
1977
PBS

2 comments:

Chris Larry said...

how can u not love annie hall?

msdee said...

I still havent seen Annie Hall. I am such a loser.