Monday, December 22, 2008

Spartacus

I didn't really have a burning desire to see this but it was on so I recorded it. I liked the first 30 minutes and was ready to give a big F you to Gladiator. I liked the super gay scene between Laurence Olivier and Tony Curtis. But the majority of this 3 plus hour movie was a big snoozefest.

Although the tear that rolled down the cheek of Kirk Douglas during the famous "I Am Spartacus" scene was downright fabulous. I also really liked the big fight scene. It was nice to see real people fighting in long takes rather than armies of digital nonsense and/or quick cutting. And the ending was great as well. I just wish that Russell Crowe had met a similar ending in Gladiator.

In my review of that film in 2000, I wrote, "As Chris Lawrence says, 'Kirk Douglas at the age of 90 could do a better job than Russell Crowe.'" Exactly.

Directed by Stanley Kubrick
1960
Cinemax

1 comment:

Chris Larry said...

You what a great movie is, way beter than Spartacus, which I do like, is The Vikings starring Tony Curtis and Kurt Douglas. The recently departed Eartha Kitt played a witch. Good times...