Thursday, December 04, 2008

Cool Hand Luke

After recently watching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Verdict, SHR and I decided to get this film from Netflix. She hadn't ever seen the whole thing and I don't recall seeing it since I first watched it with my dad sometime in the 80's.

I liked it as much as I remembered. SHR was a bit disappointed. I also talked to Mitch about this film recently and he isn't the biggest fan either.

Yes, it is a bit slow and yes it feels a bit dated, but Newman is great. As is George Kennedy. I also had forgotten that Harry Dean Stanton was in this. The eggs scene is as funny as I remembered and the classic "What we have here is a failure to communicate" stills packs a punch. The warden is awesome as is the evil overseer with the sunglasses.

Plus, I think I'm just a sucker for prison movies.

Just don't ever forget that the Man will get you in the end. People were so darn cynical in the late 60's.

Directed by Stuart Rosenberg
1967
DVD

1 comment:

msdee said...

is is possible we agree on this movie? Wow!