Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Synecdoche New York

While watching this, I kept going back and forth between thinking this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time and "Wow, what a convoluted mess!" I guess my overall opinion is that this falls somewhere in between. But like any Charlie Kaufman effort, even a mess of a movie is still interesting and worthwhile.

I wasn't able to always exactly follow what was going on but that might have been because I was very tired while watching it. Or maybe the movie was the cause of my tiredness. I feel like I would need to see this at least two more times to have a complete grasp on it. But I doubt I'll be doing that.

Even if things got a bit confusing, the themes of loneliness, sickness, despair, artistic inspiration, aging, and death all are clearly stated.

The absurd notion of Samantha Morton's house constantly on fire was a definite "Only in a Charlie Kaufman movie" highlight.

Directed by Charlie Kaufman
2008
Times Square 25

1 comment:

mas said...

As we discussed, I also thought this movie was a little overstuffed, but as Jim can attest, I still found it powerful and moving. It's nowhere near as good or as "complete" a movie as "Malkovich" or "eternal Sunshine," but I'm still thinking about it a few weeks later and will be anxious to see it again in a few months.

Also, Dianne Weist is consistently underrated and awesome.