Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Rachel Getting Married

This will definitely rank high on my year-end-list. It has gotten such good reviews that I was almost expecting to be disappointed. But I wasn't. I liked it even more than I hoped that I would.

After getting over the initial annoyingness of the handheld camera aspect and the irritating character that Anne Hathaway is at the beginning, I really became swept away by the whole thing. I'm not ashamed to admit that I teared up a few times. In fact, if you don't tear up during one of the scenes near the end (and you'll know exactly which one I mean when you see it), you have a heart made of stone.

Tunde Adebimpe from TV on the Radio was great. I loved seeing him in 2001's Jump Tomorrow before I knew him as the indie rock star that he is. Bill Irwin as the dad was very good. I enjoyed seeing Debra Winger again. I love the wedding band constantly playing all the time for rehearsal. Jonathan Demme Dogme 95 style! And when you can't take it anymore about how good the movie is, Robyn Hitchcock shows up to play some tunes at the wedding! Fuckin' brilliant!

All the comparisons to The Celebration ring true. They are quite similar in look, tone, and overall excruciating to watch moments. I should see that film again. I haven't seen it since 1998. This is kind of The Celebration meets The Family Stone with a bit of Monsoon Wedding thrown in. Hell, there's so much seamless multiculturalism in this movie that it made me feel like the U.S. is the best place ever.

I laughed, I cried, I liked this movie a whole lot.

Directed by Jonathan Demme
2008
BAM

4 comments:

marc b. said...

I had a lot of the same thoughts as you, except I didn't think about referencing The Family Stone when describing it. Nice job on that front.

mas said...

Bill Irwin's wacky facial expressions annoyed me throughout the movie and reminded me of his classic performance in the music video for "Don't Worry Be Happy." Other than that, I liked it a lot.

Balgavy saw a movie?

Listmaker said...

yeah, i can see that regarding irwin.

also, how did i neglect to mention how great that dishwashing scene was? easily the best dishwashing scene in the history of cinema.

Chris Larry said...

good movie, great review!